January has left; February has arrived. And still, as a country, we continue to go through the bombardment of cold and damp weather, with also a sprinkle of snow to make things just that harder for commuters to get to work.
Now I do like the rainy weather, but it does dampen your day (excuse the pun) if you had already made plans of going out, without the worry of scurrying around like a drowned rat, cursing and looking for a shop, or as we see it: a safe haven.
But I want to forget about this weather just for a brief moment, and talk about a beer that derives from a much warmer and drier country: Portugal. So, todays choice is going to be the Super Bock’s Sem Álcool Beer (non-alcoholic translated).
Super Bock: From 1927 to Today
- In 1927, Super Bock is established in Leça do Balio, Portugal which - and still - is owned by the Unicer Brewery.
- It is the leading beer brand in Portugal and the best-selling Portuguese beer in the world.
- During the late 60’s, Super Bock launched its first advert with the slogan “The beer that goes beyond expectations”.
- At the start of the 1970s, Super Bock formed a distribution network with 12 delivery vans in Lisbon.
- From 1977, they have won 68 gold awards from the Monde Selection de la Qualité.
- Super Bock establishes the Super Bock Super Rock music festival in 1995.
- They have also sponsored Portuguese football teams such as FC Porto and Sporting CP.
Three senses and a beverage
This Portuguese beer comes in a 330ml bottle with the selected ingredients: water, barley malt, unmelted cereals (maize and barley) and hops.
The beer has a gold colour, minimal carbonation and a soft, thin white head. Very light and refreshing, with a sweet - and slight citric bite - taste with notes of cereals to please the tastebuds. An aroma of malts with a hint of fruit can be picked out.